Friday, September 18, 2009

The Beginning .....

Welcome to my new blog!

I've decided to enter into the world of blogging to describe to the world my trading card search. I've recently got back into a hobby that I first commenced in the late 80s and early 90s. Back then, there were many trading card shops around the place and they all seemed to sell every single variety of trading card you could think of. Of course, there were the sport cards on baseball, basketball, football (every variety) and every other sport imaginable. Then there were the cards on tv shows and movies, cartoons, etc. The card companies would often even throw in a little something extra into the card packs - often it was gum (of some sort) - but you might have also got a sticker or some other thing that you would find great amusement in.

To think - you saved up all your pocket money to go down to the shops and buy a pack or two of trading cards. You knew that you could place them in the card folders that you bought, take them to school or the shop, and either trade them with your friends or proudly show the latest card you had acquired. Although you were always hoping to find a "rare" card (based on the description on the card packet), you were equally as happy to find that elusive common card to finish your set.

Well, like so many hobbies, the enthusiasm amongst the public for trading cards began to diminish somewhat in the late 90s. I put my cards in a box and stacked them in my cupboard. I just couldn't bear to part with them - after all, I enjoyed the hobby but it was getting more difficult to trade the cards.

Skip forward a decade or so, and in the midst of cleaning, I decided to open up the trading card box and take a look at the cards I had collected. They certainly brought back some memories. Out of curiousity, I then started to take a look on the internet to see what had happened to the world of trading cards since the 90s. Well, I was glad to see that there were still many out there who collected trading cards of all different genres. Even better, I saw that people were writing blogs on packs/boxes they had opened or cards they had traded/bought.

So, here I am now. After seeing many places on the internet selling trading cards or putting collectors in contact with one another to trade their cards, my enthusiasm for card collecting has come back. I'm not one to go out spending huge amounts of money on trading cards (particularly the boxes). I enjoyed the time when a couple of dollars would get you a couple of packs of cards.

Therefore, this blog will describe my re-discovered adventure of opening packs of trading cards. It might only be a pack or two a week (with the occassional 'cheap' box), but I want to do two things primarily with this blog: (i) describe to everyone the excitement of opening a pack of trading cards, and (ii) along others to see what cards they might be able to pull from a pack of cards before they buy them.

Regardless of whether you are interested in trading cards or not, I hope you can take a look at this blog and join in the adventures that will (hopefully) follow .....

No comments:

Post a Comment