Friday, October 2, 2009

Story for today .... 3 packs of 2009 AFL Select Champions cards

Well, I bought a reasonably large pile of card packs today (about $20 worth) and will write separate comments on each pack. However, the first story/comment I want to write about today is on the 3 packs of 2009 AFL Select Champions cards that I bought. For the non-Australians out there, AFL stands for the Australian Football League (the game is also known as Aussie Rules - google it and you will soon learn about the game).


The grand-final of the AFL was held last week between the Geelong Cats and St. Kilda. Geelong ended up winning their 2nd premiership in 3 years.


Anyway, I've been collecting this set since it was realised earlier this year. Primarily, I was collecting the commons out of the set and any Sydney Swans inserts (since they are the team that I go for). The packs retail for $2.95 and in them, you can get a variety of cards. A standard pack will have 7 common cards and 1 holographic guernsey card. The other inserts available are Gold Foil Signature cards (64 in total or 1 per 6 packs), Star Gem cards (32 in total or 1 per 18 packs), Superstar Mascot Gem cards (16 in total or 1 per 36 packs), Draft Rookie cards (16 in total or 1 per 36 packs) and Double Trouble cards (6 cards or 1 per 108 packs).


Prior to today, I had only been able to pull 1 Double Trouble card (of the Carlton team). However, when I went to the shops today and bought a variety of cards, I asked the shop assistant whether they had any packs of 2009 AFL Select Champions left since I didn't see any on display. He came back later with the last 3 packs they had. I wasn't expecting much from the packs (was hopeful for 1 Swans card), but I got a bit more than I expected.


Each pack that I opened had an insert in it!


I got my Swans insert (a Star Gem card of Brett Kirk), but also got 2 Double Trouble cards! Not only that, but the Double Trouble cards that I got were of the two grand final teams (Geelong and St Kilda). Here's a picture of the 2 cards if you are not familiar with the series.



It's days like this you've got to love collecting :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment